Friday, December 21, 2012

BAND OF THE YEAR: TRUST

photo by Lorenzo Dalbosco
If you've been following my blog for a little while, it's no secret that I've become completely enamored with Robert Alfons's band Trust, and him as well. I could go into trying to lump their sound into a bunch of different categories, but it truly is unlike anything I've ever heard. Trust's debut album TRST, which dropped in February, has such a variety among all the tracks that it's hard to pinpoint what genre this music is exactly. I don't care so much about trying to label what it is that I'm listening to; all I know is that whatever it is, I can't get enough of it. I've never felt compelled enough to name any musician or group as my "band of the year" so allow me to walk you through all the reasons why Trust is so special.

First at foremost, I cannot get enough of their music. I honestly can't say this about any other thing that I've heard this year. TRST is the CD that is playing in my car the majority of the time and it's the only album that I repeatedly listen to without getting sick of it. I'm sure why this is impossible with nearly any other musician. 

That voice. Robert's voice is sexy, sinister, and eerily beautiful. I don't mean to keep repeating myself, but it truly is different than anything I've heard. Alfons has proven that he can make great electronic (I don't know what other word to use) music, but he's also proven that he's just as talented when you strip down his songs and he does just that in the acoustic version of Sulk. I admit that I'm still blown away by this version.

The sheer amount of success Trust has had since the release of their debut album simply blows my mind. They've toured Europe with Yeasayer, played at SXSW, played a headlining tour in the States, opened for the Faint, released a number of singles and music videos, and have another headline tour in store for spring. Like, what?! I don't know of any other group that is so new that has played as many gigs.

You probably get that I think this band is really good. Not only on recording but live as well. Usually I tend not to think good things of electronic bands whenever I try to imagine them live. I automatically sort of assume that artists will use technology to alter vocals or make them sound a particular way. Not in Trust's case. Not in the slightest. Robert's voice on the album is what you hear in real life. He really knows how to win over a crowd, as well. I saw Trust in November and there were maybe fifteen people in the crowd. Robert's energy had every single one of us moving, and that's impressive.

Robert Alfons oozes talent and has created a musical endeavor that has left me wanting more. Trust is stopping by St. Louis in March and you can be sure that I'll be at that show. And who knows, maybe fans will be lucky enough to have a new album by then. Until that album is released, I leave you with a B-side from the Dressed for Space single. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment